Would you like to operate in a scale up company, which still has the great atmosphere of a startup, but with the backing of an enterprise company?
Does this sound like you?
- You want to work with user centric products (holiday reviews and weather forecasting) that provide joy and a real impact for the consumer?
- You have a strong technical background and experience with development architecture standards?
- You are an inspirational leader with a proven track record of driving a timely product delivery?
- You are a technical inspirator who is able to carry out your vision within the company?
- You are Passionate about technique and people?
- You thrive on steering the technical direction and the employees of your environment?
- You have the preference for promoting a self-managing culture in daily operations, but you love to take the time to develop the skills of your own team further?
- You are still passionate about coding and cutting-edge technological innovations?
- You are looking for a new opportunity with an innovative, product driven business?
- You would like to work in an international environment, still small enough to have major impact, and in a beautiful office in the center of Amsterdam, where they really care about their employees?
If so, then we would love to hear from you….
About our company & the brands
We work together with around 100 employees on developing brand-new websites and apps for our users, to make booking a holiday and checking the weather as fun and easy as possible. Both products are high traffic platforms (in total more than 50 million visits per month on mobile and web).
Zoover is a prominent name in the Dutch market of providing accurate travel reviews, and promotes a smooth holiday booking process. Our colleagues all work together to achieve this goal by providing inspiring content through our website, blog and other platforms; by developing a user-friendly website, apps for tablet and mobile, and offering a varied assortment of accommodations, reviews and customer service. This way, the booking of the holiday can become as much fun as the holiday itself!
Weeronline is the most well-known consumer website for weather forecasting in the Netherlands. From our own weather room in the Amsterdam office, the current weather situation all over the world is closely monitored and forecasted. Our colleagues are ensuring a solid platform that promotes accurate and understandable weather forecasts for the users, and ensure high satisfaction amongst the users. In this way, all of our users can get the most out of their day!
The culture within our company can be described as informal, entrepreneurial and transparent. Having many different nationalities (currently 18), cultures and languages amongst our colleagues creates an open atmosphere in which we can learn a lot from and about each other.
Our main values are: Improve Every Day, Think big, Energize Each other, Customer Centric and Curiosity. Please read the attached flyer for more details.
- The brands Zoover and Weeronline are both part of Webassets BV, which is part of the HolidaycheckGoup AG (HCG). HCG is a very strong travel brand with the focus on the German speaking markets. In day to day operations Webassets and HCG work independently from each other, because the brands are so strongly focusing on their own local markets. All the development departments report (directly or indirectly) into the CPO/VP Engineering from HCG.
- HCG is part of Hubert Burda Media group.
Role Head of Development:
As the Head of Development, the focus is on defining the strategy for the Development teams, and daily people management tasks for a team of 27 in becoming successful. The teams work fully agile, are independently operating in their scrum verticals, and discuss often with their chapters.
We are searching for a person who, on one hand, steers the technical direction and, on the other, promotes a self-managing culture. Someone who can coach, guide and inspire the team to remain motivated, to deliver the best, and make them develop further in their careers.
Reporting to our CEO and dual line to Group CPO/SVP Engineering, the responsibilities will be:
- Drive a fast pace of development for the seed and scale products in the portfolio and ensure stable, consistent and predictable delivery of software;
- Creating and driving the technical vision to ensure the right architectural decisions are made by the teams;
- Creating the technical governance of the overall architecture: tech principles and making sure that our tech stack follows the newest innovations where relevant;
- Driving operational excellence by implementing and improving efficient agile product development processes;
- Hire, motivate and develop strong development teams;
- Liaise with our other group Heads of Development to share and contribute to best practice;
- Responsible for department budget and focus on driving down structural IT and operating costs;
- People management (i.e. performance reviews, personal development, resource planning etc.) and establishing an effective organization;
Some of our main technologies:
- Cloud based databases
What we need from you:
- A Master’s degree; preferably in software engineering, computer science etc.;
- Experience in a similar role and having successfully lead similar sized IT teams (min 15);
- Experience with architectural decision making (should be able to validate and challenge the teams);
- Proven track record of driving operational excellence initiatives in a fast-paced environment;
- Ideally functional knowledge of most of the technologies mentioned above;
- Ability to inspire and coach experienced and junior technical people on tech and non-tech related skills;
- Experienced and passionate about People Management of technical teams;
- Experience in working together with a strong Product department (and a peer who is end-responsible for product) is preferable;
- Experience with e-commerce or internet/media (pure players) is preferable;
- Strong communicator and strong in stakeholder management;
- Experience of working with data at scale.
- Market competitive salary packages
- 40 hours workweek
- 25 holidays (possibility to buy 5 additional)
- Pension premium (1/3 paid by employee)
- Phone and laptop
- In case living outside of Amsterdam: public transport card
- Flexible working hours (start between 7.30- 10.00am)
- Development opportunities to grow into your career (workshops, trainings, conferences, etc)
- Additional perks: Daily lunch, multiple fun events with colleagues, daily fruit supplies, great coffee, Gympass, beautiful office located in center of Amsterdam;